Friday, August 4, 2017

A Day of Audibles

Friday 7/21/17  One of the benefits of traveling alone is that you can go at your own pace and change course at any time.  This day was filling with "go with the flow" decisions . . . including whether or not I would even stay in Yellowstone that night.

My campground was pre-paid for two nights, having me scheduled to depart Saturday morning for the two-day drive home.  Already being concerned about my campsite location, I was predisposed to check-out early and leave Friday instead. I woke up and hit the road for Grand Teton around 6am, not sure if I'd be returning back to Yellowstone's Grant CG or not.

I was optimistic about having an opportunity to view grizzly momma #399 and her cubs, especially since the day before I noted this large highway sign.  Unfortunately, she was nowhere to be seen . . . which is actually a good thing for her and her little ones.

It was so sad when her COY (Cub Of Year) was killed by a vehicle in the middle of the night last year.  I pray that this 26 year old GRANDMA of a bear is able to get this year's pair to maturity.

With no bear sightings along the park road, I opted for the scenic drive up to the Signal Mountain Lookout.  Last time I was in Grand Teton (June 2016) the road was still closed due to snow.  I was hopeful that perhaps there would be some wildlife to view up there.

As I ascended, however, I was mostly in the clouds.  It was very dense with not much viewing possible.  In fact at the top, I was looking down upon the clouds that enshrouded the entire mountain range.

I enjoyed the peace & quiet, not seeing another vehicle for the entire drive.  On my descent back down the narrow gravel road I did pass a few cars. By this time it was close to 8am so more people were going to be up and around touring the park.  It is a shame however, that people simply speed through wherever they are!  After a row of three cars passed me by, I noticed something moving in the woods.  I slowed down and the came to a complete stop, turning off the engine so as to not disturb the beautiful doe less than 25 yards away.

Sure I've seen deer before . . . LOTS of THEM!  But she was just beautiful.  She was large and looked very healthy. I wondered if she might have had a fawn hidden away somewhere but never saw any indication of such.  She was not frightened by my presence nor quick to want to go elsewhere.

When I returned down at the main park road, I did try one more time to see #399, driving back north towards Yellowstone through the area with the warning signs . . . but no such luck.  It was only 9am and I was at a loss for "something to do."  WOW . . . that just sounds terrible!  I was in God's Country with beauty all around me . . . and I was growing restless and bored.

I headed on south to Moose-Teton Road, a well known wetlands area and habitat for moose.  Having spent some time there the prior evening and not seeing anything other than visitors hoping to see moose too . . . I was hopeful but not very optimistic.  After having my breakfast there, and seeing nothing, I headed on out for the park visitor center in Moose.  It was crowded with tourists from two motor coach tours.  I did find a seat in the theater to view their film about the park.  It was a nice break for me, as I contemplated "what next?"

10:30am . . . decision made!  Top off the gas tank at the Colter Bay service station, get more ice for the cooler and hit the road!  What I hadn't decided was which route to take from the park heading east and home.  I briefly thought about heading further south towards Rawlins and Sinclair where my Mom was born and raised.   But TOOTS had bad news on that idea, as it was really too far out of my way and I really didn't have anything specific to see or do there.  So I just headed out of the park, allowing my GPS to provide the shortest time routing home.  I was not disappointed!  It was a decision that would set in motion several more decisions on the fly.

And just like that, the Teton Mountains were in my rear view mirror!



No comments:

Post a Comment